Saturday, May 12, 2012

A Good Day to Dine & some Cardassian armour

Okay, okay, I know. It's been a while since I last updated. And boy do I have updates! I've been sewing like a madwoman on a dozen different things, and attending Trek shenanigans with my shipmates and some Klingons. First off, the Trek shindig.

We members of the USS Navras met up with the IKV Melota for barbecue and Trek talk back at the end of April. I donned my nearly finished Class A uniform and my Cardassian lite look, since most of my prosthetics had reached the end of their lives. I was quite proud of my ship, as we had Vulcans, Andorians, and a Cardassian in yours truly, so we had a good showing of aliens! This was my first time meeting anyone from the IKV Melota, and they were all very lovely, despite being Klingons. ;-)

And, just because...

Since then, I've been busting my butt to finish a wedding dress commission and new Cardassian uniform for a client. You can't see the wedding dress yet because the wedding hasn't happened quite yet, but here's a look at the Cardassian uniform!

I'm making this one the same way I made the last one. I started out with a basic body block and patterned out the armour, then cut it out in craft foam and assembled it.

I then made the adjustments to the front and back, adding in the diamond to the front and the point in the back. I did this by cutting the foam and then adding in more pieces, and blending everything together with papier mache.

Once that was finished, it was time to add in the detail work. I did this with dimensional paint, hand painting every squiggle and diamond onto the armour. This took forever, and my hand will probably never feel the same. :p Still, it was totally worth it, and I am so flipping proud of how even my diamond pattern is! (Also, ignore the smears. That's where I went back in and fixed things I didn't like. It smeared the paint, but wouldn't show up once the final paint job was on.

After I had finished all the details, I applied a coat of resin epoxy to both the inside and outside of the armour.

Look how shiny it is now! The shine won't stay there, but it just looks so pretty! It took forever for the resin to set since it's been so humid lately, so the resin-ing took 2 days where it would usually only take a few hours. Oi!  Anyway, once the resin had finally set, I added a spray-on rubber coating (PlastiDip) to give the armour it's correct texture and to give it more durability. I added it to both the outside and inside, though in the photo below only the outside has been coated.

Once the rubber coat was dry, I hand painted the armour with acrylic paints. I used a combination of the black dimensional paint and a pearly white acrylic.

All that remains now is to add the velcro to the side to make it close, and to add the velcro to the arm holes so the sleeves can be attached. Over the next couple of days I'll be finishing the jumpsuit, so stay tuned for that!

1 comment: